Dry skin is characterized by rough, scaly, flaking skin or chapped, cracked lips. It may also be itchy. People with dark skin may show dry skin in a gray, ashy condition. Dry skin can become severe enough to bleed when the skin cracks.
This condition occurs when the skin loses too much water or oil. As a person ages their skin becomes thinner and drier. This could make them more prone to dry skin. It is also more common when the weather is dry, such as winter. People who have their skin in water often due to their job may also be more prone to drying skin.
Treatment options are based on the severity of the condition:
- Changes to your day to reduce the cause (hands in water all day)
- Don’t use hot water on skin it removes natural skin oils too quickly
- Use a gentle cleanser to avoid stripping oils too quickly
- Don’t take excessively long baths or showers
- Moisturize right after baths/showers
- Use a humidifier